Monthly Archives: August 2011

Seat is done

Well – kind of – just needs a coat of paste wax and it will be done.

I’m happy how it turned out, but I don’t want to make another for a long time.

20110829-071436.jpg

20110829-071446.jpg


Waiting on this to dry

I’m getting excited now seeing it start to come together towards a finished product.

20110824-061411.jpg

20110824-061419.jpg


Skirting attached to the seat pad

I double stitched it for extra strength. I’ll probably wait to dye until I have it on the seat pan.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it mounted.

20110823-103515.jpg


Seat skirt started

Here are some pics of the leather being stretched for the skirt on the sides of the seat.

 

20110821-063916.jpg

20110821-063926.jpg


Seat padding start

Here are some random progress pics on the seat upholstery development.

Ready to stamp in some space for the padding:

20110821-063422.jpg

Stitched and trimmed to size:

20110821-063455.jpg

Gluing down the outside edges:

20110821-063440.jpg


Test pattern for seat

Here’s a quick test I did for the diamond stitch upholstery on the seat pan. I’m hoping the final will be a bit taller tufts.

This was using 3/8″ soft foam for the diamonds. I think I’ll move to a higher density foam.

20110817-092532.jpg


Seat pan

I had been running a West Eagle seat. It was kind of ugly and just sat on the seat rails. Work of all it was really flat so I found myself between the rear of the seat and the fender a lot.

Since I needed a new pan, I’d bent up two seat pans but neither was what I wanted and were a bit flimsy. I bought the one you see below off a guy on the Jockey Journal. It looks like one of Teach’s seat pan, but I’m not sure since I got it second hand. It was dirt cheap (probably because it was made for an extremely narrow ass), was heavy gauge and had a good kickup in the back.

Step one was to weld some wings onto the sides to widen it up a bit. I had it sitting on the frame, but I didn’t like the flat look of the base of the seat. I ended up with one of my time-consuming ideas to put a skirt on it and contour the bottom so it looked better. Also it would hide the hinge and the posts running down to the frame.

Here’s the 1 1/8″ skirt tacked around it. Looks big I’m thinking.

20110814-065235.jpg

Here’s the profile after some grinding:

20110814-065251.jpg

I made a paper template and transferred the right-hand profile to the left side:

20110814-065301.jpg

A bit of grinding later and the pan is mostly done.

20110814-065315.jpg

Next step – padding & upholstery.